[ Snuff Box The Nasal Snuff Club] Poll - Best English Snuff Manufacturer
Nick D
2005-06-20 20:43:29 UTC
I'm with McC

Nicky Tn :<)
F&T, hands down!
As far as I am aware there are only five
manufactures of snuff left
Fribourg and Treyer
Wilson's of Sharrow
Imperial (J&H Wilson's)
Samuel Gawith & Co
McCrystals
In reality there are, of course, only four as F & T
is now milled by
Wilson's of Sharrow while Smith & Sons are,
according to a
booklet I obtained from their shop in the 1970's,
blenders only. For
this poll, however, I'm assuming that F&T are still
independent.
F&T, established in 1720, must surely be the snuff
of the aficionado
if not the connoisseur. Even the names of the snuffs
in their archaic
tins are reminiscent of fine French wines with
appellations. Most
snuff manufacture, however, is geared towards the
medium class snuffs
as these are the most popular, but what do you
think?
Out of the above manufacturers which, in your
opinion, produces
the finest snuff and why?
Yahoo! Sports
http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
u***@SdLeC20jkxhdp5GzSR2bhykYRwEV9RKwGG2rFddidoqzWHbNI6uRf42YVGP-AYti5g8_R8hF_Skp.yahoo.invalid
2005-06-20 21:24:07 UTC
You surprise me, Nicky!

Damian.

Nick D
2005-06-21 18:28:42 UTC
I do not manufacture, I blend. One day I may have smoe mills of the
stature of Sheffield, but one must always be patient....

Nicky Tn :<)
Post by u***@SdLeC20jkxhdp5GzSR2bhykYRwEV9RKwGG2rFddidoqzWHbNI6uRf42YVGP-AYti5g8_R8hF_Skp.yahoo.invalid
You surprise me, Nicky!
Damian.
James Armstrong
2005-06-23 08:37:25 UTC
I'll stand by my opinion about F&T. HOWEVER...I have
come to the opinion (almost reluctantly) that if I
could have only one snuff I would choose McC's
Original. The balance of menthol with eucalyptus,
camphor, and whatever else is in there is something
that I can snuff all day every day. Their other types
are excellent, but just like the recipe for Coca Cola,
the Original is perfect and hopefully will never
change.

Right now I'm drinking a Foster's Lager and snuffing
large quantities of McChrystal's Stammheimer Hops
snuff (not even sure this is available in
England...ordered it through estatepipes.de under the
name "Stammheimer Hopfen Schnupf.") The sweetness of
the hops in the snuff goes so well with lagers and
pale ales, as well as some of the few decent american
beers. I'm balancing this with an occasional pinch of
Lotzbeck Schmalzler...Mmmm.

Incidentally, I'm not sure of precise German meaning,
but in Yiddish Schmalz means chicken grease. Whenever
a conductor tells me to play schmalzier I have a weird
image of having warm yellow grease poured over my
fingers. I know that historically we are told that
Schmalzler was originally treated with butter
drippings, but I wonder if it wasn't a more "fowl"
sort of drippings altogether...

Ut! My Foster's is almost gone. Must mean it's time
to stop typing!
Post by Nick D
I'm with McC
Nicky Tn :<)
James Armstrong
[...]
Rekindle the Rivalries. Sign up for Fantasy
Football
nickythenosereturns
2005-06-24 21:24:16 UTC
I believe that you cannot just have one snuff. I carry many with me
all day and choose them depending on the effect that I am after and
of cause what my nose wants. I need menthol and dry. today I have
overdosed on the American (Railroad Mills, levi Garrett and tailed it
off with Samuel Gawith Irish D Original), and am currently a little
jittery, with a halo around my head and light eminating from my
fingers......

Nice!

Nicky Tn :<)))
uberivan
2005-06-25 11:37:12 UTC
nick,being in the u.k. where do you get your american snuff from?
i have been trying realy hard to find some W.E. Garrett/Rooster snuff
for some time but have not come across a single supplier in england.
Nick D
2005-06-25 16:18:09 UTC
Either you can contact an american seller of snuff or you can get nice
and pally with one of the US group members who may be able to help you
out. (in exchange for a few local samples)

Nicky Tn :<)
James Armstrong
2005-06-28 09:09:28 UTC
I've had to learn some self control; I generally allow
myself to leave the house with no more than three
snuffs at a time. More than that and I rattle when I
walk. At one point I was taking as many tins of snuff
with me even if just making a short trip to the store
or something. Some kind of obsessive/compulsive
behaviour on my part.

--- nickythenosereturns
Post by James Armstrong
Schmalzler was originally treated with butter
drippings, but I wonder if it wasn't a more "fowl"
sort of drippings altogether...
Ut! My Foster's is almost gone. Must mean it's
time
Post by James Armstrong
to stop typing!
Post by Nick D
I'm with McC
Nicky Tn :<)
--- In
Post by James Armstrong
Post by Nick D
think?
Out of the above manufacturers which, in
your
Post by James Armstrong
Post by Nick D
opinion, produces
the finest snuff and why?
http://mail.yahoo.com
Nick D
2005-06-28 11:41:44 UTC
The secret is to have a jacket with lots of little pockets, each one
with only one or two snuffboxes in. So that way you know which
pocket will have the President, which will have the Irish, which
will have the Tom Buck and so on.

And they dont rattle

Nicky Tn :<)
Post by James Armstrong
Schmalzler was originally treated with butter
drippings, but I wonder if it wasn't a more "fowl"
sort of drippings altogether...
Ut! My Foster's is almost gone. Must mean it's
time
Post by James Armstrong
to stop typing!
Post by James Armstrong
Post by Nick D
think?
Out of the above manufacturers which, in
your
Post by James Armstrong
Post by Nick D
opinion, produces